What to Bring
What to Bring, and What Not to Bring
It is important that everyone participates in maintaining a secure, therapeutic environment at University Behavioral Center. To help promote the safety of our patients, we have very strict rules about which personal items are admitted at our facility. Bringing valuable items to the unit is strongly discouraged. University Behavioral Center will NOT assume responsibility for any lost or damaged items.
- Please do not bring any potentially harmful contraband onto University Behavioral Center property (see list below).
- All items brought to the facility will be inventoried upon arrival. Items that are kept by clients are no longer considered the responsibility of University Behavioral Center.
- Upon entering our facility, patients and their belongings will be searched by staff for potential contraband. Staff will also complete a “wand” search for sharp objects.
- Staff will complete an inventory sheet of all personal belongings brought into the facility.
- Any items that are not permitted will be returned to the family, locked in a storage area or confiscated and surrendered according to University Behavioral Center hospital policy.
- While inpatient at University Behavioral Center, your area may be subject to search with you present if there are concerns about the overall safety and care of the environment.
- Please wear shoes or slippers at all times.
- Visitors will not be able to bring any personal items into the visitation area.
Personal Belongings and Contraband
You are encouraged to send all valuables and money home. If you choose to keep them, please note that University Behavioral Center is not responsible for any lost or stolen items. You may request that your valuables be locked in the safe. Items will be logged on a belongings sheet and signed out upon discharge. University Behavioral Center does not assume responsibility for any clothes, jewelry or personal items such as dentures, eyeglasses/contacts, hearing devices or other valuables that are kept by an individual. Please ask for assistance if you need help locating your belongings. University Behavioral Center will not replace any lost items.
Patient Belongings Drop-Off
Patient belongings* dropped off by friends/family will only be accepted during the hours listed below:
Monday – Friday: 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Sunday: 12:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
*Items allowed for drop off (maximum): 3 shirts, 3 pairs of pants (no holes, no spandex/leggings, no strings), under garments (no underwire in bras), socks. 2 sets of appropriate pajamas (recommend sweatpants/t-shirts, no strings). UBC has washers/dryers on every unit to ensure cleanliness of items and proper hygiene. Any items dropped off and given to patients are their responsibility. UBC is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
We’re Here to Help
University Behavioral Center offers no-cost, confidential assessments for individuals in need of mental health or substance abuse treatment. Our staff is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to schedule assessments. Call us any time at 407-281-7000 or complete and submit our online contact form. If you need immediate medical assistance, contact 911 or seek the nearest emergency room.